Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Commitment

Today my mother and father have been married for 61 years. A young man I know asked me if they still liked each other. I had to laugh. My mom and dad are wonderfully in love with each other. Momma doesn't see well, so daddy is her "seeing eye dog." Daddy hasn't felt well this winter with all the really cold weather and momma has worried over him. They are a blessing to me - and a lesson in what true commitment is.


There are so many levels of commitment in our lives. I have to ask myself: Am I faithful in all the commitments I have?

First, I have my commitment to the Lord. He has to be first and foremost in my life. I was nothing, a worm in the filth of my sin and He reached out to me and saved my soul. My only true worth is found in Him. As an extension of that commitment is my commitment to my church. God has placed me (and I hope placed you) in your church. Each of us are a vital part of the church body. Are you an eye? an arm? maybe just a little toe. It doesn't matter, you are a part of a body and I have no part of my body that I want to live without - not even my little toe. In this day and age the commitment to the local church is almost non-existent. I pray you will seek God and beg Him to make you a vital and serving part of your local church. Ask Him to give you commitment to His bride.

Second, I have my commitment to my husband. He is my friend, my sweetheart and the love of my life. God has blessed me with a Godly man who truly loves me with a sacrificial love. Even if your spouse does not love you with such a love, I encourage you to love him in a Godly manner. Along with this commitment is a commitment to my pastor. (I am blessed that my husband is also my pastor. So I get two commitments covered for the price of one.) To uphold that commitment, I pray daily that God will bless his time of study and grant him great wisdom as he leads the people of God.


After this the commitments are not as clearly lined out as far as order of importance. I have a commitment to my children and grandchild (soon to be grandchildren.) I pray for them, love them, encourage them and enjoy the blessing they are to me.


I have my commitment to my parents. I see them every week but I sometimes wonder if that is enough. I need to call and check on them more often. I need to make sure they know how much I love them and pray for them.


Then there are commitments to my more extended family, to my boss, to my neighbors and friends. All of these commitments listed here are important and deserve time and energy. Most of all, they are commitments given to me by God. I can only pray that He will grant me the time and energy to keep each and every one.

1 comment:

  1. Good post..a good reminder of where our priorities should be. And even if someone is the "little toe", God sees each part of the body important for His good and glory.

    ReplyDelete